What better way to beat the summer heat then to have the oven on for a couple of hours in your already boiling hot apartment. Probably the worst idea I've had in awhile...but it was worth it! I had every intention of going for a run and enjoying the weather but I used every excuse in the book, such as "I'll go later when it cools off...I'll go to the gym later...I'll go to the gym first thing in the morning" ...which eventually lead me into deciding that I just wanted to go home, clean up, get organized and make some granola bars for lunches!
These aren't just ANY old granola bars...they are something different from anything I have ever made before, using some different flavours. After a lot of taste testing, I finally figured out what combinations I wanted to use!
Chocolate Mint Pretzel Granola Bars
makes 12 granola bars
1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup crushed pretzels
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup mint chocolate chips
1 cup natural, unsalted peanut butter
1 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
1) Preheat oven to 350. Toast sesame seeds, almonds and coconut in a frying pan over medium high heat, stirring frequently unti lightly browned. Set aside and allow time to cool completely (otherwise it will melt the chocolate chips.
2) Once nuts are cooled, combine this mixture, pretzels, oats and chocolate chips in a large bowl. Mix well.
3) Combine peanut butter and brown rice syrup. Microwave for 30 seconds to make it easier to mix. Add vanilla, stir to combine.
4) Add wet mixture to dry. Stir well to combine.
5) Spray 8 by 8 square baking dish with spray oil, transfer mixture and press down firmly.
6) Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Take out, allow to cool completely before cutting.
Check in tomorrow for another amazing granola bar recipe. HINT: banana and butterscotch are involved...
Have a wonderful evening!